You may have seen news of the recent release of business profiles for Instagram users. This update brings Instagrammers one step closer to having the data, post analytics and advertising capabilities we already have with IG's big sister, Facebook.
While I've yet to be convinced that Instagram is a necessary tool for every clinic, and I'm even further skeptical of the benefits of advertising on the platform, I would recommend at least establishing your clinic's Instagram and switching it over to a business profile if you already are using it.
Not sure how and why to use Instagram in your practice? Check out my previous blog here.
So, why switch over to the business profile? Simple. Why not? The change is free, quick and easy. In just a few seconds, you're setting your practice up for the following benefits:
So, as far as I can tell, there are no reasons you WOULDN'T do this. There's no cost, you get more info about how your content is performing and the return on your investment, and it's easier for your clients to contact/find you.
So now the HOW: Check this quick screencast of how I set up our clinic with a business profile in just a few seconds.
For those of you who like written directions:
1. Make sure you have the most recent update of Instagram on your mobile device.
2. Log into your clinic's Instagram account.
3. Click the "Options" spiky wheel in the upper right hand corner of your main page
4. Approximately 3/4 of the way down under "account" you'll see an option that says "Switch to Business Profile."
5. You'll be prompted to login with Facebook (this will usually occur under a personal Facebook profile, so make sure the person doing this is someone who is an administrator on your Facebook page).
6. Once you've authorized Facebook, you'll see a screen to "Connect Your Facebook Page." Choose your clinic's Page.
7. Set up your business profile: verify your clinic's phone number, address, and email address. Click "Done."
8. Receive a "Welcome" message indicating you're successfully connected and set up!
9. Upload your first picture! You'll start seeing the insights and promotion opportunities on all new posts moving forward.
So that's it, and totally doable! It will be interesting to see how this will change Instagram use over the next few months. You can follow my clinic shown here, or my own business profile @thesocialdvm on Instagram! Be sure to share your clinic handles so I can follow you too! Happy Instagramming!
-Caitlin DeWilde, DVM